Job Summary: The Melt Shop Manager of Melting is responsible for all aspects of the steel melting operations. This includes the functioning of the Electric Arc Furnace (EAF), Ladle Metallurgical Furnace (LMF) and the overseeing of all Scrap processes. The Manger of Melting oversees all aspects of the operations to ensure that production goals are met in a safe and efficient manner.
Role and Responsibilities
- Ensure that supervisors and all EAF/LMF employees are trained to perform their duties in compliance to Health and Safety policy and program requirements.
- Responsible for the safety training of all EAF/LMF employees.
- Implement and monitor the adherence to all Environmental standards and requirements.
- Utilizes a “hands-on” leadership approach, leading by example and recognizing the importance of being regularly present on the shop floor.
- Develops and mentors Turn Supervisors to ensure technical standards and work instructions to ensure product quality and NPS requirements are achieved.
- Responsible to ensure that operators are trained in standard operating practices and that they are following them by performing audits. Ensure the compliance to NPS and Quality system requirements.
- Provides the communication link between Management and Supervisors to ensure that important information is communicated to all employees.
- Creates the environment to ensure that employee issues are heard and addressed.
- Identifies areas for continuous improvement, plans and implements change.
- Responsible for regular communications with Maintenance Department to ensure safe and efficient equipment performance.
- Builds a positive business relationship with Caster and Maintenance managers directed toward departmental goals and business plans.
- Communicates effectively and timely with Casting Manger and other Melt Shop management to ensure department goals and objectives are achieved.
- Focus area on Continuous Improvement projects and tracking of all area KPI’s.
- Ability to managing supervisors and an hourly union workforce.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse and cross-functional teams.
- Enable team members to achieve maximum potential through coaching, training and mentoring.
- Ability to control costs without sacrificing safety, quality or productivity.
- Adheres to and ensures