The Senior Development Metallurgist conducts research develops processing techniques, and other technologies with a focus on the development of new products, services and markets. The position will also research and propose new production equipment, procedures, and methods to automate, improve, and/or scale-up existing processes.
Perform metal manufacturing processes employing techniques appropriate to the task to maintain or improve the Company's competitive market position. Duties may include utilizing a broad range of equipment currently used in Development or Manufacturing.
- Identify and develop novel approaches to optimize metal manufacturing processes. (Including for example: alloying, casting, deformation, heat treatment and analytical characterization)
- For new development projects, conduct experiments, perform analytical characterization activities, gather data, analyze data, establish material property relationships, draw conclusions, and document concise technical reports with clear recommendations.
- Apply solid scientific understanding to the innovation and development of novel materials and processes. Drive analytical data gathering and processing for data-based decision making.
- Scale and validate new product processes in conjunction with the R&D team and operations.
- Ensure any sub-contract vendors are appropriately evaluated and selected.
- Identify and drive continuous improvement. Apply solid scientific understanding to the innovation and development of novel materials and processes especially relating to metal product manufacturing.
- For approved Product Development follow the Stage-Gate development process. Ensure as part of the design iteration loop, failure analysis of development products and re-design are routinely performed.
- Support identifying and evaluating new analytical technology relevant to current and future products.
- Make recommendations for capital equipment purchase. Evaluate metal processes and identify risk areas. Understand liabilities, yield, environmental and health & safety.
- Maintain awareness of trends and new developments in metallurgy through membership in professional societies and technical readings.
- Support AMG Sales and Marketing in new product development.
- Provide technical reports to customers for new qualifications and on-going technical analyses.
- Support Sales and Marketing by participating in meetings, conference calls etc. when direct communication with customers requires Technical input. This may also encompass technical seminars, trade shows, exhibitions etc.
- Provide guidance on the potential viability of new materials and their manufacturability.
- Be available to comment on the R&D Prototype Schedule in conjunction with Sales, Logistics and Manufacturing.