JOB SUMMARY: Apply knowledge of material science and provide guidance on product failures and offer design improvements to product engineering group. Researches, plans, develops, and optimizes process and product development. Works to improve the efficiency and profitability of the manufactured product.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the development of product design as it relates to material characteristics to inform material specification, manufacturability, and product durability and performance.
- Participate in analyzing product quality performance and assisting in root cause analysis.
- Provide support to resolve operational problems related to material characteristics
- Organize technical data, write technical reports, and provide analysis including recommendations
- Participate on various project teams focused on product conception and/or product development. This may include assignments as project leader or manager
- Develops and carries out test plans, supervises process trials internally or at outside laboratories.
- Works with engineering and shop personnel in fabrication of prototype products and
development of methods and procedures for testing products.
- Understand and observe all safety guidelines and assure quality and safety by complying with all appropriate policies and procedures.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Sciences in Materials Science, Metallurgical Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Broad metallurgical background and experience, including knowledge of wide range of metals and alloys including those specific to the aerospace industry.
- Understanding of manufacturing processes, such as machining, hot/cold working, forming, heat treating and its impact on material properties and uses, coating processes, such as PVD, CVD, electro and electroless plating, and friction welding.
- Ability to work in a cross functional environment
- Lead failure analyses to determine root cause and develop, test, and recommend permanent and efficient solutions