The Senior Research Metallurgist provides technical expertise in broad areas of materials and processes in support of all areas of the company. He/she initiates and conducts new material, process, and product development; works directly with customers and potential customers to resolve technical problems; and assumes leadership of R&D during the absence of the R&D Manager.
- Become a technical expert and thought leader.
- Initiate and conduct new product development, especially in the areas of new alloy formulation and materials processing.
- Maintain working knowledge of technological developments in both new and existing markets, and keep upper management aware of potential impact of these changes
- Support new product development activities of others within the company
- Provide support within the company and to their customers
- Provide metallurgical support to resolve day-to-day manufacturing problems with emphasis on deformation processing of materials
- Provide technical support and training to the Sales and Marketing departments
- Work directly with current and prospective customers to select appropriate products, or develop novel solutions if needed
- Form relationships with customer, industry, and academic thought leaders
- Produce high-quality, high-impact technical communications
- Prepare well written, professional reports, whitepapers, and publication-quality manuscripts
- Document new test methods to support improved product quality/ reliability
- Produce detailed failure analyses for the Company, current, and prospective customers
- Track and report on the status of developmental and support projects
- Perform critical economic analysis of the value of new technologies and equipment
- Benchmark competitive products and technologies
- Supervise activities of member(s) of the R&D Technician Team